When the boys were in the NICU my wife and I had to "scrub in" before we could see them. This consisted of washing with antibacterial soap from our hands to our elbows for one minute. I never knew a minute could take so long. I always sang the slow version of the Happy Birthday Song and at the last "...to you" my water was off and I was reaching for my paper towel. At the NICU I averaged about 7 Happy Birthdays per wash.
Now, let me give you a little information on me before I continue, I hate to have dry hands and I lotion up every moment I get to avoid the horrid sand paper feeling. OCD? Maybe. The soap at the NICU seemed to suck out every last natural oil I had in my hands. Even after the washing, it was highly recommend by the NICU nurses that you use antibacterial gel before and after you touch your baby.
Since we had twins I would have to "jelly" myself up between babies. Since we spent a lot of time there, it was a repetitive routine to cleanse my germy hands. I change a diaper, jelly. I touch my keys, jelly. I sneeze (which was often because it was like an icebox in the NICU), jelly. I scratch my nose, jelly. I think of touching something, JELLY! At the end of the day my hands felt 80 years old! BUT....I was always willing to do it because I didn't want the babies to get sick.
I think the doctors and nurses at the NICU scared my wife and I by telling us about all the infections the babies could get, hence we turned into antibacterial whores. Before the babies got discharged from the hospital my wife stocked up on "free" antibacterial gel. Each time we would visit the boys we came home with a few bottles. I would come home and excitedly tell my wife: "I got one!" and she would look at me disappointed and show me the five bottles she came home with. Needless to say my wife had no shame.
Once the boys were home we used that "jelly" like nobody's business. My wife turned into a "Jelly Dictator". Democracy was out the window. If she told you that you needed jelly, you took it with a smile. I jokenly told her I had nightmares about her chasing me with antibacterial gel. She didn't think it was funny.
On one of our first pulmonary appointments for the little guy we were sent to wait for our doctor in an exam room. While we were there my wife saw the antibacterial soap. Her eyes lit up. Why was I prying the soap dispenser off the wall for my wife? Why was I contributing to her jelly fetish? This was the same soap that sucked the life out of my hands at the NICU and now we were taking it home! Sand paper hands here I come. But.....the worst thing about this doctors visit was right after I took the antibacterial soap the doctor came in and of course he went to wash his hands and THEIR WAS NO SOAP! I was mortified and probably bright red. My wife on the other hand.....cool as a cucumber. No shame. I still love her though.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's hilarious. Hilarious a sweet. I can just see the look your wife gives when she expects a certian level of jelliness. I think the first thing I would say if she gave it to me would be "yes ma'am". ;)
ReplyDeleteSeriously... I can only imagine that I would also go to great lengths to find free jelly too! My wife is also germ phobic about our babies, she's afraid they'll be born in H1N1 season etc. So... our friends will likely be unable to visit for a bit.... Glad to find you on here... btw. It's nice to find other similar couples with twins. :)
ReplyDeleteIn my defense, the "Jelly" is better than the one you can buy in stores and I actually think my hands feel softer. It doesn't leave your hands all sticky like 'pur.ell' or the other brands after multiple uses - and lord knows we used it several times in between washes! I've looked for it online and its only sold wholesale (and although I am tempted to buy 100 cases of it, I think my wife would put her foot down at that point). Also to be noted, the nurses in the NICU (there were a few we loved) GAVE me the jelly so its not like I was swiping it. I asked nicely and they would give it to me. I will admit to asking my wife to take the bigger exam room bottle, but again, I only asked, very nicely, and she complied...I don't remember holding any gun to her head. :)
ReplyDeleteI was a crazy Lysol lady when I was on bedrest after transfer. F was so sick and in the same house as me. Our whole house was wiped with Lysol and the two of used hand sanitizer. We didn't steal it though :) Toilet paper from washrooms while I was in University is another story. That was stolen.
ReplyDelete